Resources for Climate Action Planning
If your town, city, or county is looking for help in determining how to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions, here are several resources that will provide technical assistance, training, publications, and information on grants to help offset the costs of introducing more environmentally friendly city operations.
- ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability, ICLEI-US Cities for Climate Protection Campaign
- ICLEI is the place to start. It engages local governments in developing and implementing policies and programs to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming. These activities also save money, improve local air quality, and increase the livability of communities. To date (February 2012), over 600 local governments are taking actions to reach their greenhouse gas emission reduction goals through ICLEI-US Cities for Climate Protection Campaign. http://www.icleiusa.org/sustainabilitytoolkit
- Local Government Commission
- A non-profit organization working to build livable communities - funding opportunities and other resources.Primarily directed at cities in California.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Emissions Tools for Cities and Counties - You'll find useful resources for estimating the emissions benefits of alternative fuels.
- EPA's Local Climate and Energy Program
- This program helps local governments meet sustainability goals with cost-effective climate change and clean energy strategies. Local governments can reduce greenhouse gas emissions and achieve multiple community goals such as reducing air pollutants, lowering energy costs, supporting local economic development, and improving public health, quality of life, and the reliability and security of their energy system.
EPA provides local governments with peer exchange training opportunities and competitive grant funding along with planning, policy, technical, and analytical information to advance their climate change mitigation and clean energy goals.
- Showcase of local climate change action plans
Many cities and local governments in the country are developing and executing the action plans to lay out a strategy, including specific policy recommendations, that they use or will use to address climate change and reduce its greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. EPA has compiled a list of such action plans nation-wide.
- CoolCalifornia - simple steps for sustainable future
Website providing resources to all Californians in order to reduce their environmental impact and take action to stop climate change. It addresses different needs of local governments, businesses, schools and individuals on customized pages for each audience. It provides cities with a variety of tools and resources to assists their planning effort whether they are just getting started or are already in the advanced stages of climate action planning.